So, you have just received your test results from Allergy Test Australia and you have discovered that you are intolerant to lactose? No dramas, we are here to help! This article will help you on your way to living a dairy free life in Australia!
Lactose is the carbohydrate naturally found in all kinds of milk, including human milk. It can also be used as an ingredient in some foods. In some cases, lactose can cause a variety of unpleasant symptoms after eaten, such as bloating, pain or cramps in lower abdominal, gas, diarrhea and throwing up.
Lactose can also be added to foods so watch out and always check the ingredients. Follow the link below to earn the full list of ingredients that contain lactose.
The most common foods to avoid are:
Dairy foods do not need to be eliminated from your diet if you are lactose intolerant, however, the amount of lactose that can be tolerated will vary from person to person. We have included some helpful tips to help you include your 3 serves of dairy every day:
- Don’t drink milk on an empty stomach
- Build up your intolerance. Start small and gradually increase your milk consumption
- Regular fat milk may be better tolerated than low fat or skim milk. Fat slows the passage of lactose through your digestive system giving you more time to digest it
- Yoghurt is often better tolerated than milk
- Cheese is low in lactose and well tolerated
If you still have problems, try low lactose milk or a lactose digesting preparation (available from chemists). With dairy being a rich source of calcium in the Australian diet, the good news is everyone can still enjoy the great taste and nutritional benefits that dairy foods have to offer.
If you would like to cut lactose completely out of your diet Liddells do a fantastic lactose-free range which can be found in major supermarkets like Coles and Woolies!