Here at Allergy Test Australia, we have compiled information which we believe you need to know about food allergies and intolerances which can help you to live a better life. Take a look below at some of the essential information that you must know about intolerances and food allergy which will highlight the need for you to order an intolerance test.
There is a difference between a food allergy and intolerances
A food allergy is different from a food intolerance. How? A food intolerance and the subsequent symptoms are in general, less severe and may not have a long-term effect on your life if you are able to identify them. They are generally less serious and can often be limited to digestive problems, or a headache.
Food allergies, however, are very serious and it is vital that you are able to identify them. Unlike intolerances, allergies can cause an issue in the immune system and are generally life-long. In some cases, these allergies can be increasingly severe and even life-threatening so we cannot emphasise how important is to speak to a doctor if you believe you have an allergy.
Both allergies and intolerances can develop at any time in your life
Although allergies are most commonly identified in children under the age of five, they can develop at any point in your life. However, this does not mean that you should not get tested if you are an adult, as you may still have developed an allergy or an intolerance. Research has indicated that many children outgrow their allergies but a food allergy can develop and become life-threatening.
The most common foods which cause allergies
Peanuts, eggs, cow’s milk, tree nuts, sesame, soy, fish, shellfish, and wheat are all common causes of a food allergy. If any of these look like a staple of your diet and you are experiencing allergy symptoms, then you should immediately consult your doctor. If you commonly eat a wide variety of these foods and are still experiencing these symptoms, then you may have an intolerance rather than an allergy. In this case, you should order an intolerance test, and this may mean that although you will have to avoid that item for a while (six to eight weeks), it does not mean you will not be able to eat it again.